Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Conversations With Ni Ke Le

I suddenly remembered this one day when I was at Serangoon Gardens bus stop talking to Nic. He suddenly said a fruit name in mandarin and we started this...

Me: Baby? How many fruits do you actually know in mandarin? Do you know what is 'xiang jiao'?
Nic: Banana?
Me: Good. Now I test you others. Mmmm...I say a fruit and you tell me what is it in mandarin ok?
Nic: OK *eager smile*
Me: What is strawberry?
Nic: *thinks real hard* ermm...I duno.
Me: Its called 'sui mi tao' (I was totally wrong. 'sui mi tao' = peach. Corrected him later)What about durian?
Nic: I know! 'lui lian'.
Me: So clever. *beams with pride* Erm...what about orange?
Nic: *pause for a long while* I know I know!! Its called 'O-LIN'!!!
Me: Baby!! *laughs out loud* Orange is not O-LIN. Orange is 'CHEN'. Where did you learn that from?
Nic: But all those aunty aunty all pronounce it that way.
Me: That is their english version of orange la sayang....
Nic: HAhahah :-)

Such a cutie la...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:09 PM

    Hong Mao Tan...

    Si kua..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...that came after the O-LIN...so i didn't include...

    ReplyDelete