Sunday, May 03, 2009

Gym Moments

I was never a fan of exercise. I used to tell people I live by the motto, "Eat first, think later". But after working, especially having to travel as often as I do, I realise that its important to take care. Recently, I've heard countless people ailing from cancer and numerous colleagues having difficulty to conceive. I wouldn't want to suffer from any unnecessary pain due to an unhealthy lifestyle.

I started taking on light exercise. I've some friends who started taking yoga classes and signing up for gym packages. So I started jogging around where I live, and taking on pilates class. Then I realise that I could make use of free access to gym whenever I'm overseas.

I don't really like the idea of those heavy machinery and having to exercise in a public area with a crowd. I feel intimidated. The thought of having to try and operate a machine, foreign to me, makes me shy and embarass. What if I pushed the wrong button? What if I put my feet on the part where my hands should be? What if I used this machine and developed muscles on my arm instead of toning them? Worries...

I still imagine those things could happen to me. Which is why I only use the threadmill and one other exercise machine. Do not be too ambitious. Simple does it. But I remember that one time when I was in Frankfurt and the freaking threadmill had German language all over it. Instead of increasing the speed on it, I was tipping the threadmill at a 45 degree angle. I tried to remain calm while trying to figure out how to stop embarassing myself any further. Quite a challenge.

I feel lazy at the thought of having to change, sweating it out, coming back to cool off and having to shower, dry my hair and all that shit. Thinking of the process puts me off the mood to exercise. But I put my excuses to the side and went to the gym back to back. Yesterday and today. I feel good. It was worth while.

I hope I won't let the bad side take over me anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment