Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Teacher's Name Is...

Puan Sayang, Mrs. Ding, Mrs. Bala, Mrs. Yeoh, Puan Mahsuri and the list goes on...

Why do you think you actually remember them? I remember these names cause they played a part in my education and indirectly in my upbringing.

I was watching the fifth episode of 'My So Called Life - The Substitute' and immediately was reminded of 'Dangerous Minds' and 'Freedom Writers'. The two movies about how dedicated souls go all out to battle the many skeptics and students, changing some lives and beliefs of others in the process.

Its liberating how one person can motivate or change your life...

I'm truly amazed at how a person can actually patiently teach another, yet alone have an impact on others just by doing so. These teachers, or characters, have some sort of magic in them. They just make you want to learn, want to impress, want to progress, want to challenge, want to think out of the box.

I met a person like that once. Her name is Stella. She taught me english, creative writing and public speaking when I studied in college. I was just a normal-blend-in-student kinda person, but somehow, in her class, you just feel like you can be special, can be outstanding. She didn't need to give you extra attention or read your assignments in class to do that. She just somehow commanded a I-know-each-student's-work-by-heart kinda aura. Which makes her so different from those mediocre, mainstream teachers.

I miss her.

My mommy always wanted me to be a teacher. Piano teacher more like it. But I'm horrible at piano. I don't want to be another money earning mediocre teacher. If I ever do teaching, I want to be someone remembered. Someone who had positive influence on another person's life. Someone who's not just imparting knowledge to others, but also making the process a memorable and fun one.

Right now, I'm just so blessed to know someone in my life who is potentially magical when it comes to teaching. In due time darling...in due time....

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:06 PM

    my favourite entry of yours so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree... one of your best blogs i've read

    ReplyDelete