Monday, August 03, 2009

What makes your holiday?

I was looking through heaps of photos on my laptop and wondered to myself, which of those getaways were memorable to me. What made them memorable? The place? The people? The things I did? The shopping?

For me, its the people I travel with that makes the whole holiday super. The place will come in second, followed by the things we do and the shopping if any. People would probably say that my job is a holiday itself every time I stop over in different countries. But those don't really count, cause my loved ones are not there with me.

I have had some memorable holidays which plays in my mind ever so often especially during the days I wish I could just be on never ending leave and go for a super chill out time. The Bali trip I had with Nic is unforgettable cause it was my first time traveling with boyfriend with no adult supervision. Haha~ No. Really. The unforgettable part was learning each other's weird travel habits, staying up whole night swatting mozzies, peanut throwing competition, almost drowning moment, the fantastic dinner we had at Warung Sate, the sing-a-long session at the beach side under the stars and the whole entire journey we had together.

Then I remember the first trip I had with my 'lepakhere' friends. Port Dickson. The first ever trip with friends. I was so excited, even though it was just PD. I remember the girls sleeping in the room together, and the guys were mostly in sleeping bags or sleeping on sofa in the living room. We had an awesome time getting lost while driving, BBQ dinner, kayak-ing, and just enjoying each other's company.

Then there was that trip to Langkawi with my college friends. We took so many photos and had so much fun posing and planning poses for each. I will never forget the kayak-ing moment. I was paired with Yeemai and we felt like we were never gonna make it back. We kayak-ed with all our mights, with eyes closed (cause it was raining and the waves were choppy) only to realise that we never moved an inch and was probably going backwards. We keep telling each other how we didn't wanna die out there and we were so young and had so many things to do. Oh..and by the way, if you didn't already know, I can't swim. Yeemai can't either.

My most recent trip was last year, to Phuket with a weird combination of friends. There was Nic, my housemate Mandy, Nic's good friend Jerry and Nelsen, Nelsen's girlfriend Elaine, and Jerry's good friend Ivan. Everyone sort of knew one person or another, but some of us met only when we departed for the trip. It was an unexpectedly pleasant trip.

Of course I had memorable trips with my family as well. The endless travels in the car with sing-a-long songs, the many arguements we had, the stress we had to endure packing and unpacking together, and the many times we entertained ourselves silly just by being together as a family. There was one time when we were trying to warm up our teochew language before meeting our grandmother, we were literally translating mandarin songs word for word to teochew. That was absolutely funny and we laughed ourselves silly. But I think I remember most the time we had a short stay in Rasa Sayang Shangrila in Penang. The stay was awesome, not to mention the swimming pool.

I need to go for another holiday. With Nic. We are unable to decide where. It isn't so important to me where we choose to go, cause I only really need him to be there to make my holiday. But at the moment, we can't even decide on a place to go. So we can't plan anything yet. I hope we decide soon...so we can have something to look forward to.

Any suggestions anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:30 PM

    wow - what happened to the white box? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. emm go climb mount KK, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha...
    that would be quite a sad holiday for me then....

    ReplyDelete